Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wii Are Distracted

We were very surprised to open up a Wii on Christmas Day a few weeks ago. My generous new in-laws shocked us with this amazing new video game system that both of us were excited to play with (although I was a bit more giddy than she was). Jen and I are both very thankful for this wonderful gift, especially because it's a fun thing to do when we have people over to our home to visit.

However, I must admit that video games are very distracting.

There are two reasons that I haven't bought a video game system since my Nintendo 64 in high school:
  1. It's expensive.
  2. It's time-consuming.
Reason 1 is out the window thanks to my new family, but I'm definitely going to have to work on Reason 2 by learning how to use my time wisely. How do I do that? How can I be more organized about the priorities in my life?

Answer: A Priority List.

It's important to keep track of your priority list (you have one even if you don't know it). Whatever it is that you do with yourself is a priority. It could be playing video games, spending quality time with your spouse, reading a book, watching tv, blogging, taking out the trash, knitting, cooking, eating ... these are all priorities. What we do with our day determines our priority list.

The good news is that we get to choose what we do with our day. I choose to love my wife. I choose to play video games. I choose to read. How I live my life is up to me.

So even though the Wii is fun, there are many other priorities I must invest time into. I don't want to become an old man wishing that I spent more time loving my wife or learning and growing instead of playing too much Wii.

Image from cnet.com

2 comments:

  1. Come on, dude. Everyone knows that playing video games is way more important than talking to your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I have discovered something amazingly incredible about my wife: she actually enjoys playing some video games! She has been playing Mario Galaxy on her own and we have had evenings where we just sit and watch each other play, and even co-play sometimes! I never knew that she liked video games until now. She's particularly excited for Wii Mario Kart, as am I.

    My goal now is to integrate good conversations with her and playing Wii at the same time, killing two birds with one stone! But I don't think she'd go for that. :-) Oh well, I'm not good at multi-tasking anyway.

    ReplyDelete