Monday, June 11, 2007

Hemorrhoids

Several months ago I discovered that I had hemorrhoids. Don't ask me how, I just did. But I just had one hemorrhoid. I didn't have multiple hemorrhoids, just one. Or is it one hemorrhoids? Oh dear, I don't know the proper singular/plural for this. Anyway... I had a case of hemorrhoids.

But my point is that I had it, and now it's gone! I thought that I should mention what I've learned about this condition, since approximately 50% of all Americans get them before the age of 50.

What are hemorrhoids? Like most people, at first I didn't really know what they are, even though I've seen tons of tv commercials about them. Simply, they are swollen or enlarged blood vessels in your rectum. Don't worry, they aren't fatal. If you treat them properly, they can either go away (like it did in my case) or they can be easily removed by your doctor.

The main cause for hemorrhoids is too much pressure on the rectal veins. This condition is very common with pregnant women, sedentary lifestyles (office jobs), obese people, those with a fiber-deprived diet (constipation), or even people who excessively consume alcohol or caffeine (can lead to hypertension).

After looking at my own habits, I figured out that my problem was straining myself during bowel movements. This led to an external hemorrhoid. However, once I realized that I was causing my own problem, I just learned to "go with the flow" and not push too hard. After a couple months, the hemorrhoid went away!

There are a couple of good resources I've found (here and here) that describe causes, symptoms, treatments, etc. Check them out and learn a thing or two about your body!

Sometimes difficulties like these are good experiences. You learn to treat your body well and to not misuse it, otherwise problems start popping up. "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20 NIV).

Image from wikipedia.org

7 comments:

  1. Ummmm....did you just relate a scripture verse to your bowel movements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I certainly did! :-)

    Here's another good chunk from Deuteronomy 23:12-14 about bowel movements...

    "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the dueteronomy scripture means no more...if it's yellow let it mellow...you should always flush to keep your home (camp) holy (could have used that at my previous job--someone rarely did--flush that is). After all God will deliver your enemies to your home so that you can kill them with kindness and love.

    I have been reading your blog for a while. Always a joy to hear what is going on and keep up with friends I don't see often. Come visit me at West Seattle. Give me a shout.

    Karene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reference. I'll have to stop pooping around my apartment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a large external hemorrhoid and after several months I decided to remove it myself. I wrapped one of those very small rubber bands (like a dentist uses) around a pre soaped piece of plastic tubing as many times as I could(5). Using a mirror I put the tube around the hemorrhoid and and push the rubber band off onto the very base of the hemorrhoid. It pinched a bit, but not really painful. I put some Neosporin plus on it. After only 5 days it dropped off. What a relief. They do pretty much a similar procedure at a doctors office, but I was embarrassed to have such a nasty thing dangling down there. I can't say I would recommend doing it yourself, but I would do it again if I had another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article!
    Few other "famous" sayings (non-biblical):
    1. The best present a woman can give her man is an alarm clock. Set it in the loo to remind him to put down his book and get off his throne ASAP.

    2. He must have hemorrhoids 'cos he such a pain in the ass.

    and on a more serious note,
    3. It is worth remembering, that not all rectal bleeding is caused by hemorrhoids. It could be something more sinister.

    Visit SingaporeDoc for more useful articles.

    ReplyDelete