Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Resurgence Conference

Recently my mind has been boggled in regards to what I want to be when I grow up. Several people have told me I would make a good pastor, many have supported my pursuits towards counseling, and recently I have had thoughts about becoming a teacher after some talks with my wife. I just don't know yet.

Our upcoming move to Portland is a large obstacle in my path, but once we settle down in the Beaver State around the end of March, hopefully my view of the future will become relatively clear.

As for now, I am especially curious about where God might be leading me within the church. I have considered combining two of my desires and become a counseling pastor. After looking into the programs at Western Seminary and George Fox, there really wasn't anything that hit me very hard. I still haven't understood yet where exactly God wants me to go.

Sometimes when we don't know what God wants us to do, we just need to keep having faith that as long as we keep pursuing a desire to serve Him, then He'll guide us through big life-decisions.

One way that I am trying to get a better understanding of where He might be leading me is by attending the upcoming National Resurgence Conference here in Seattle at the end of February. I don't know what to expect. I've never been to a conference like this before. There is supposed to be an Acts 29 Network Church Planting Bootcamp there too, which should be helpful to get a better understanding of what is involved with seriously becoming a pastor.

The conference, titled Text and Context, will focus on understanding the Bible in context and applying it to today's culture. There will be wonderful teachers there, such as John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Matt Chandler, Jim Gilmore, and CJ Mahaney. Here is a trailer:



You can find more videos clips here.

I'm excited to learn more about God's Word through these great teachers. I am hoping to take lessons learned from this event and apply it directly to my life, whatever that may be in the future. It's essential that I use Scripture in my life no matter what.

Anyone else planning to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment