Saturday, December 1, 2007

Snow!

It snowed today in Seattle! Thankfully on a Saturday instead of a weekday. I've noticed that one of the main differences between kids and adults is their opinion of snow. I always remember when I used to wish it snowed every day. Now, as an adult, it sucks when I have to drive through the snow (very dangerous in Seattle) and go to work in the snow (instead of playing in it).

As Jen and I were warm and cozy in our apartment and watching the fluffy white goodness fall outside, I was reading through the book of Luke. I love this book because he was a physician, which also translated into the way he wrote: orderly, chronological, and conclusive. I appreciate that, so I enjoy it.

The funny thing is that I stumbled upon an appropriate passage for reading in the snow: Luke 12:49-59. It actually talks about dark clouds and the weather! Hmm... coincidence?

Jesus talks about how ridiculous it is for us to hear the Gospel and not understand that we should be getting prepared for. He is preaching to them (and to us) and we should know that one day God will judge us and ask us how we used our lives to please Him. Jesus relates this to the weather by telling us:
"When you see a cloud rising in the west, immediately you say, 'A shower is coming,' and so it turns out. ...You hypocrites! You know how to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky, but why do you not analyze this present time?"

Isn't it interesting that we see a rain cloud (or today, a snow cloud!) coming and we prepare by putting on a warm coat, scarf, pants, and boots. Likewise, we must see the signs that God has put in front of us and prepare the same way.


First picture I took of my cute wife walking in the snow, and the second picture she took from last year's storm in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment