Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cookies and Bark

Following in my sister's footsteps in the kitchen and the fact that it's pretty much a social expectation at work, I signed up to bring treats to work on Monday. Jen and I made scrumptious goodies... and the secret ingredient: Candy Canes!

Jen offered to make everything, but I wanted to help too. So we decided that she would make the Candy Cane Snowball cookies and I would make the Peppermint Bark.

They were a success! Lots of compliments at work. However, there were a lot more compliments for her cookies than for my bark.

After work I told Jen the news that she had received more praise from my co-workers than I had, and she replied, "You think everything is a competition, don't you?"

Yep. Pretty much!

I guess even making fun treats like this tests my humility.

2 comments:

  1. It all looks soooo pretty! Love the little dessert tray thing, too. Can't even see the chip! : ) Hehe. But yeah....as for the people not liking the bark as much...perhaps most people in general just don't happen to like peppermint bark and prefer cookies...I know I do. Perhaps if you had made the cookies and Jen the bark, you would have received more praise instead. I think its all a matter of personal taste rather than the skill of the baker. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you're probably right.

    Although I did leave out the fact that making bark is the easiest thing in the world... Just melt the chocolate in the microwave, mix in the crushed candy canes, spread thin over wax paper, and let harden. Jen's cookies took a bit more work. She's much more skilled than me anyway... gotta give my wifey some props.

    ReplyDelete