Friday, July 27, 2007

Rollernuts

Well, biking to work was fun while it lasted, but it was hard getting motivated to bike 12.5 miles round-trip each day. I could just bike for fun and not just to work, but Jen doesn't have a bike and the hills in Seattle wouldn't be so fun while biking together anyway. So we've decided to try something else fun to do together on wheels: Roller blading!

Earlier in our relationship, I had a tough time accepting the fact that I was not going to be able to share some of my favorite sports with Jen. Two of my favorite things in the world are baseball and ultimate. She would rather go watch a baseball game than play it, and ultimate is just not her thing. So, what am I going to do? Be upset? Sad? Hold it against her? Will I love her any less? No way.

I learned that the reason I love her is not because she does or doesn't like to play sports with me. I knew that I needed to remember that daily.

I can't get upset with her over things that aren't important to me in comparison to my relationship with her. I am in love with her because of who she is on the inside. I can open up to her like nobody else, share my thoughts and my life with her knowing that she will understand and appreciate me. Sports should not get in the way of that!

However, we both know that it is important that we spend time together doing things that we both enjoy. We found that roller blading would compromise both of our interests: she really desires to talk and be in conversation, and I really want to release my energy and be active. By roller blading, we can do both at the same time!

Yay for compromising and sharing new activities together!

2 comments:

  1. Haha. You are so cute, hermano.

    Do you realize how incredibly often everyone in our family using the word "yay"? Seriously...we use it all the time. Haha. It is so funny. Kendra brought that to my attention one day...and now I've been noticing how mom and dad use it all the time. And so do you!......YAY! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fabulous! See you in T-minus six hours :)

    ReplyDelete