Thursday, October 18, 2007

Last Thoughts From Single Life

I'm getting married. Single life will be a thing of the past. So, naturally, I'm thinking a lot about it.

I've had to give up a lot of stuff.

I have a PEZ dispenser collection that I have been working on for the past 10 years or so. Most people who know me know that I have over 400 of them. That's why we'll have a little fun at the wedding and put the bride and groom on the top of the cake. However, since I've been engaged, my collection has pretty much piddled out of my mind.

This happens in life. When certain things in life are more important, you give up other things that are less important.

My whole single life, I've never had to think about someone like I have been learning to think about Jen. I have never had to think about my responsibilities. As a single person, I only thought about the specific, minor, and relatively unimportant responsibilities in my life.

Not until recently have I realized my ultimate responsibility. My ultimate responsibility is to be a servant. A slave to Jesus. My short little life is going by quickly. Single life is gone, and married life is beginning. Pretty soon, married life will be gone and death will be nearing.

I have to get this in my head every single day. I have to start giving up things in my life. I have to start giving up sin in my life. What is sin? Sin is my pride, my selfishness. Anything that gets in the way of pleasing God is sin. And I still do it all the time.

As I'm finishing up my singleness and starting my married life with a wonderful woman, I have to make lots of decisions. Every day, every minute I have to decide what my life will represent. Right now, I want my life to represent love, honesty, forgiveness, sacrifice, and joy. I can do something about it, too. With the power of Jesus transforming my mind and my heart, I can decide to turn my back to sin.

My responsibility to Jen is a serious thing. I only have one life and I need to do it right.

Jennifer, I commit my life to you, to be your husband, to serve you, to protect you, and to give you my love. I accept the responsibility given to me by Christ, to love you as He loves the church, with the humility and strength He supplies. I will love you, listen to you, and adore you when times are good and even when times are difficult. I promise to always seek God in our relationship and to strive to be the leader He wants me to be in our family. I love you Jen and I praise God for leading me to you.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron,
    Wow your words blew me away.Every man should go into a marriage thinking that. Marriage is a beautiful and amazing thing that I feel so blessed to experience. I'm so excited for you and Jen to experience it now too. Ross and I thought about you two all yestersday and we both wished we could have been there to share it with you. God Bless and I hope you two will have a wonderful life together.

    ReplyDelete