Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Coursework Complete

Fall semester wrapped up a couple weeks ago, so I am all done with my coursework at Concordia! From now on, I will be in my practicum and student teaching classrooms full-time.

It is nice to know that I can devote my full attention now to the classroom that I have been placed in. Right now for practicum, I am teaching 8th graders at a NE Portland K-8 school. It is tough, but I am learning a lot from my cooperating teacher, my supervisor, and the students. I am glad to have a tough class for my first teaching experience. It teaches me to be humble and not think I'm the best teacher in the world. I have a lot to work on and it only comes with experience.

I have one more month with the 8th graders, which includes lots of lesson planning and a work sample for the unit I am teaching. Then, in February, I will be off to teach a 5th grade class in a SE Portland K-5 school. Wow, that will be such a huge change.

The biggest thing I am trying to wrap my mind around is adjusting from being a student to becoming the teacher. I have been in school for 18 years of my life as a student, but practically zero time spent as the one in charge. This will be quite a journey.

Image from here.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job. I'm sure you're going to show those kids what's up!

    How does the market look for hiring new teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt :-)

    Yeah, the job market will likely be quite an obstacle if it's anything like it is now. Getting a teaching job, like most jobs out there, is often just based on who you know rather than what you know. So I will be trying my best to get my name out there whatever way I can.

    ReplyDelete