Monday, September 1, 2008

The Road to Divorce

There have been many times in our marriage so far that could have ended up on the road to divorce. It happens every day.

I am a firm believer that what it takes to make a marriage work is making a new commitment every day to love and forgive one's spouse. It's very difficult, however, especially if the two people have a hard time compromising in arguments. The key is sacrificial love.

Sacrificial love is giving up something you want in order to meet your spouse's needs. Who likes to give up something you want? Not me. I am selfish. I want respect, I want a back rub, I want my wife to kill the spider when I'm in the middle of my TV show. I want, want, want.

Thankfully God gives me the power through the Holy Spirit to suppress my wants and focus on her needs. She needs a gentle voice. She needs a caring man. She needs an example of Christ leading His bride.

There are many forks in the road of marriage life. I am thankful that I can give credit to God for leading me down the road that glorifies Him instead of the road to separation.

No comments:

Post a Comment