Friday, April 13, 2007

Movie Review #3 - Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace
Directed by Michael Apted
Ioan Gruffudd as William Wilberforce


I saw this movie in the theater last month, and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be a little boring and religious, but it opened up my eyes to something else completely different.

First of all, this movie wasn't about the guy who wrote the song. It's about a politician who is fighting to stop slave-trading ships from doing their horrible business. Now, he did happen to know the guy who wrote "Amazing Grace," and he also had a good singing voice and sang the song in the movie a couple times, but that wasn't the point.

The point of the movie was how much William Wilberforce used his gift of using politics for God's glory. He stayed strong to his belief about stopping slave-trading ships from sailing, even when the opposition seemed too strong. So often we give up when the going gets tough. So often we break down when doing the right thing gets too hard.

The best thing I got from the movie was that it provides an interesting glimpse into history. I grew up bored with history classes and stuff that happened in the past. I was always interested in the future, with science, my future career, my future family, etc. But this really helped me understand how important history is and how many mistakes we have made as humans. It's very important to look at our past so that we can best make decisions in the future.

4 out of 5 stars.

Image taken from IMDb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment