Thursday, February 5, 2009

Got Pain?

One of the most painful things I have ever experienced just happened a couple weeks ago. A pilonidal cyst appeared near my tailbone. Basically, it is a small bump that is infected, gets filled with pus, and needs to be drained. I don't know how it got there, but it hurt. Bad. So bad that I had difficulty standing, sitting, crouching, lying down, or being in pretty much any position.

But I had to go to work! I can still remember the pain on that particular day, driving to work. I'm sure that everyone looking at me in my car thought I was attempting to sit on a cactus because I looked so uncomfortable. Thankfully, the cyst drained after a few days of pain and I felt much better. But during those few days, I was in so much pain that I would've gladly accepted help from anyone that offered it. I couldn't deal with the pain on my own and I needed someone to help me.

Most days I go about life and I feel great. I just went to get a physical, and my doctor told me I am doing wonderful. Because I'm not usually in pain, I often forget what pain feels like. Getting this pilonidal cyst helped me realize that there are many other people with pain. This world is so screwed up that most people have some type of pain often, and many people are in pain all the time.

Just think of all the ways we go through pain in our lives: marriage problems, chaos of raising kids, coworker complications, extended family difficulties, a death in the family, body aches and pains, financial stress, no money, no joy, no purpose, no reason for living.

What a great example of Christ would it be if I get out of my comfort zone and help someone in pain? We have a God that will work through His people to relieve pain and suffering in this world. I wrote a little note to myself to help remind me of this every morning:
There are people out there in the world who are in pain. God wants to use you to help them out. Be prepared.

I don't want to be selfish and only think of myself. I want to focus on the mission that God has given Christians: To spread the good news. What better way to do it than by doing exactly what Jesus did before He was murdered? Jesus helped people who were in pain...and that's what I can do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment