Friday, November 21, 2008

Are Kids a Big Deal?

Question: What's wrong with this Toys R Us commercial?


youtube link

Answer: "Where Kids Are a Big Deal"

Based on this tag line for the popular children's toy store, it says that at Toys R Us, kids are important. The problem with this is it infers kids are not important outside of the store.

Obviously, this advertisement is targeting kids, because it would likely be played in between cartoon episodes or something. This tag line is used to persuade kids: It tells them that when they visit the store, it is then that they are important. Because when they are just at home with their parents, they aren't important.

When I heard this commercial on tv, my ears perked up and I was immediately saddened. It's sad because it's so true. Many kids are not valued by their parents. I see it every day at work. Jen sees it every day with her kids as well. Parents are much more focused on other things. To be a parent should be such a joy, yet a serious responsibility. Parents should be enveloped in their kids' lives by teaching, interacting, disciplining, and loving them so they will grow up to be responsible and self-sufficient. They are a big deal.

Unfortunately, it took a subtle advertisement to remind me how selfish parents can be sometimes. It encourages me to be much more loving and caring when I interact with them every day.

2 comments:

  1. I invite you to join up on my new YMCA blog, where I'm going to be uploading awesome projects and activities to do with kids. I'm hoping for it to be a great resource, where people can add activities and thoughts and support each other!
    http://itsfuntostayattheymca.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I like it. It's for kids. I don't have kids, but I think it's just a marketing strategy. :-)

    ReplyDelete