Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tough Choice: Sex or Baseball? (Part 1)

I've been a Cleveland Indians fanatic pretty much all my life. My mom grew up in the Cleveland area and brainwashed me as I grew up in the MLB-lacking Portland, Oregon.

I loved baseball growing up. So much that it was my idol. I played little league for eight years until high school, when I picked up a tennis racket because I was too small to play on the high school team. But even though I was often the smallest guy on my team, crouching so low at the plate that my strike zone disappeared, I lived vicariously through the Indians.

It was the perfect time to become a fan because they just started getting hot in the mid-90s with Carlos Baerga, Omar Vizquel, Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, and Kenny Lofton all making it to the World Series only to see their dreams wash away at the hands of Atlanta and Florida in 1995 and 1997, respectively.

In my senior year of high school, God helped me realize the fact that I put idols before Him and that I thought more about the Tribe than I did Jesus' sacrifice for me. So as I pursued a new life focused on Jesus into college, I spent a little less time focusing on major league baseball (although I had still considered myself one of the biggest fans in the Pacific Northwest).

I kept cheering for them through the rough rebuilding years in the early 2000s, and finally... 2007. They are back into the post season. This past Sunday they clinched the American League Central Division, something they haven't done for 6 years, and the Indians will be pushing toward a World Series title for the first time since 1948... almost 60 years!

And I have to say that this is a really great team too. The Indians organization has really brought together a wonderful bunch of guys. They work hard, have great team chemistry, have fun playing the game, and they rarely have bad attitudes. This is a World Series quality team if I have ever seen one, because these guys represent the best things about the game.

What does this have to do with sex, you ask? Well, continue to Part 2 and find out!

Photo from cleveland.com/tribe

5 comments:

  1. so - i was browsing blogs, and - i found yours very intriguing. i appreciate a guy who can write...and who's into God... so yay!

    i'll definitely be waiting to find out what baseball has to do with sex...

    tennis is awesome, by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry pal, but i think the cubs deserve the world series better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to SPU but currently live in Cleveland where I was born and raised (what part of the city is your mom from? have you ever been here?)...I was at the Jake last Sunday for the clinching game - it was incredible! I'm also going to at least one game against the Skankees for the ALDS. GO TRIBE!!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Mark! My mom grew up in Euclid and I still have family in the area. I have visited them and have been to the Jake just a few times a long time ago. Ohhh I wish I was there! Hope you have fun at the game!!

    ReplyDelete